Sunday, October 31, 2010

2010 Numbers

We finally had a killing freeze a few days ago. I still have to go out to the garden to do the final clean-up, but I think I can safely add up the yields for the season now.

It wasn't the best year for several of my plants. The peas and beans and summer squash were all repeatedly chomped down as seedlings. I suspect pill bugs as they were the only bugs I ever saw real signs of on the plants, even when checking by flashlight at night. I finally got the zucchini go grow somewhere around July 4th, on the 3rd or 4th attempt. Most of my cucumbers suffered an early demise due to a little trellis accident. My neighbor removed his fence which was supporting my ladder trellis and I didn't have it secure enough before a strong windstorm came along a couple days later and ripped the plants right out of the ground. The few Tanja cucumbers I did get to eat were some of the best I think I've had. They are definitely on the repeat list.

Another for the repeat list is the Carmen Peppers. I'll also grow them in a pot again as the plant in the pot produced more ripe peppers which were larger and earlier than the ones in-ground. Both plantings were started indoors at the same time, so I think warmth of the black pot was a benefit for the peppers.

My big producer (again) was the Small Wonder Spaghetti Squash. I won't try planting them where they share space with any other squash though, the spaghetti took over and none of the others produced. I did get one little Small Sugar Pumpkin but I'm not sure at this point if it will ripen, it started so late.

Anyway, here are the numbers:

SALAD GREENS/LETTUCE 4.38#
RADISHES .31#
BUSH BEANS 14.25# (Pole beans did not fare well)
TOMATOES 5.69# (Mostly cherry tomatoes)
GARLIC .5#
CUCUMBERS 3.25#
POTATOES 24.88#
PEPPERS 1.94#
CARROTS .44# (I had terrible germination rates)
ZUCCHINI 10.69# (I was glad to have any, with the start they had)
PATTYPAN SQUASH 2.94#
SPAGHETTI SQUASH 53.00#

ROUNDED TOTAL: 122#

3 comments:

Shawn Ann said...

wow that is a pretty large spaghetti squash harvest!

Amy said...

I know! When I added up the tally, I had to double check to make sure the poundage was right on the spaghetti squash. I had some pretty large ones this year (nearly 4#). Good thing they keep well...

Kris said...

Looks like you got some spuds along with that spaghetti squash. There's nothing as tasty as a homegrown potato.

I tried Brussels sprouts this season but with the drought and the gazillion cabbage butterflies this year it was pretty much a bust. I'll try again next year with row cover.

There's always next year, right? :-D