Sunday, July 5, 2009

RAIN!!!

We had a wet spring and summer is starting out that way as well. From yesterday's rain, I had 1.6" of rain in the rain gauge which for a dry place like Colorado, is a lot of rain (my neighbor's tops out at 1.5" and was above that, so who knows which is right). We also had .6" on July 2 and June 27 with .3 in between. When Mom comes to visit later this week, she will get to see an unusually green Colorado! I haven't lived here long enough to know what is actually "usual" but I'm told by my friend who grew up here and moved back here 4 years ago, that this is not "usual" .
Our house has a deep sump pit, but doesn't have a permanent pump set up. The pump is in the pit but plugged in with an extension cord (to our one outlet in the unfinished basement) and attached to a garden hose that we run out the window. A few weeks ago, I bought two barrels, figuring I'd try to fill them from the sump (rather than a rain barrel). I won't get as much water but I'll have a lot more control. Plus, I've been working on a drainage "system" to utilize the water from the downspouts for some of the trees and flower garden spots. I wasn't sure if I'd manage to fill the barrels over the summer based on last year's rainfall, or lack thereof. They're both full now and I'm kicking myself a bit for only buying two!! (though I may soon wish I had gotten the spigots installed on them before I filled them). I still have almost 2' of water in the sump pit and as I was running the hose to the front lawn (figured I'd make sure the grass got a DEEP watering) it started to rain again. I worked outside for a few minutes until I was chased into the house by one wicked thunder clap. Then the rain REALLY started again.

I took that photo 45 minutes ago. The rain has nearly stopped (for now at least) and the rain gauge has .7" of rain in it now. I won't be watering the garden any time soon! I planted a small test patch of grass in the backyard Friday. I hope the seed hasn't all washed away.

While I'm on the subject of weather, here are a few more weather-related photos I've taken in the past week.





5 comments:

Ribbit said...

WOW! Beautiful pictures. We got a spitting rain for 10 minutes today, but we're hurting for it.

sb158 said...

Argh! We are sweltering with 107 degrees here in TX. Between you and my daughter in CoSpr, I'm really considering another, much longer visit...if I could only convince Hubby that he wouldn't miss me if I stayed till, say, November...

Amy said...

Thanks Ribbit! I hope you get some moisture soon. I'm bettin' it's warm there and you need it.

sb158, so you probably don't want to hear about our 80 degree high temps or anything... Actually, we're supposed to see high 80's later this week I think. My good friend just arrived in TX for about 3 weeks of class. I tried to convince her before she left that 100* in San Angelo isn't hot. 105* is hot... :-)

You probably feel better when I'm posting about blizzards and ice and late frosts...

Toni said...

Amy, what great pictures!

I think that we had that same storm here in Wyoming a few days later!

What strange weather we are all having this year. Been wetter than usual here in dry country too! On the up side... everything is turning green...

Amy said...

Thanks Toni! I think everybody is having weird weather this year. The green is nice though. Hopefully everything doesn't grow nice & tall then when the rain stops. everyone has a wicked fire season.