Friday, June 26, 2009

Xeriscape & Garden of the Gods

I had an appointment at the Air Force Academy today (did you know that gardening can give you "tennis elbow"?) and since I was on the west side of the city, I decided to stop at the Colorado Springs Utilities Xeriscape Demonstration Garden. I kept meaning to go last summer but never made it, so this was my first visit.

I wanted to share a few photos to help dispel the false impression that Xeriscape = Zeroscape. I see the misuse of the term xeriscape quite often. Xeriscape is not a sea of rock. Rock may have it's place in a waterwise landscape but it's really not the only option.

I only had a few minutes to preview the garden (I'll go back in a couple weeks with Mom while she's here) so I didn't get to really read the signs well. I know one of these photos is of a moderate water use garden (the 2nd one) but I think the others are all low water use. One of the principles of xeriscape is to group plants by their water needs.

So, here's the short tour:








One website I think is a great source of information on plants' water needs is X-rated Gardening http://www.gardencentersofcolorado.org/xratedgardening/perennials.htm.

Colorado Springs Utilities also has xeriscape information here-
http://www.csu.org/residential/greenback/water/xeriscape/item1123.html


I didn't have a lot of time before my appointment and on my way across town, I kept going back & forth, trying to decide if I should go to the gardens or to Garden of the Gods. I opted for the gardens but I ended up going to Garden of the Gods after my appointment. I was there for a picnic with my neighbors a couple weeks ago and with all the rain we had earlier this spring, everything is so green here this year. The contrast between the rocks and the vegetation is just so pretty.

For those who don't know, Garden of the Gods is a park on the west side of Colorado Springs with some unusual rock formations. When it was gifted to the city, one of the stipulations was that it would always remain free and open to the public. Today, I just drove the loop around the park, but there is also a very nice walking trail through the formations. It really is a beautiful park.






If you'd like more information about Garden of the Gods, visit their website http://www.gardenofgods.com/yourvisit/index.cfm.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Figures... I've been thinking that one of these storms might produce some rain for us but lately, no joy. I came home from the conservation garden and watered all my neighbor's new perennials (she's on vacation) and turned the sprinkler on for a while on the front lawn (not really supposed to water today but the wind was finally calm) so what happens? As I finished typing out my post tonight, it starts to rain!!

Ribbit said...

The pictures are just breathtaking! I was watering my neighbor's flowers yesterday as well. :) I had on a hat and sunglasses and people kept driving by talking to me as if I was her. She's got a dinner date for next Friday now. :) HA!

Liisa said...

Lovely photos of the gardens. You'll have to give us an update when you go back with your Mom.

(did you know that gardening can give you "tennis elbow"?)

Yes... I've had it for over a year now and yes it is from gardening and a little from golfing ;-)

sb158 said...

Oh lord. You had to do this. I just got back from visiting my daughter in CoSpr a couple weeks ago. You have no idea how badly I wanted to stay, instead of coming home to dry, flat, brown, hot, and humid S. TX. If I hadn't promised Hubby I'd come back, I probably would have stayed. We went to the Garden of the Gods and the AF Academy, among other places. I'm ready to go back, already.

Amy said...

Ribbit, you're too funny. I hope your neighbor likes her dinner companion...

Liisa, my elbow has been hurting for probably 4 months (I kept thinking it would go away). I finally broke down & went to the Dr's. Of course, the day I finally go, I had the least amount of pain I've had in months. They gave me a brace & Aleeve... today it feels really good. I have a hard time believing anything happened THAT fast, so maybe it was almost better anyway...

sb158, I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I lived in San Angelo (TX), we would come to CO and go camping for about 10 days with my in-laws (up near Gunnison). That drive home was such a drag...